Saturday, November 7, 2015

Nobody told me (my two boys)

Nobody told me that love happened that fast.
Nobody told me the difference between holding a baby and holding your baby.
Nobody told me that 3 AM cuddles can be the best part of your day.
Nobody told me that when they hurt, I bleed.
Nobody told me that I’d learn to love from someone who hasn’t learned to walk.
Nobody told me that some day I’d look at Christ on the cross and say to God not, “Why did you do this for me?” but “How could you do this for anyone?”
Nobody told me a name for that feeling you get when they defy you.
Nobody told me a name for that feeling you get when they do the right thing even when it costs.
Nobody told me what to do when those two things happen at the same time.
Nobody told me that having a son means you get to raise someone else’s best friend.
Nobody told me how to share grief with someone who doesn’t know what “death” is.
Nobody told me just how hard you can laugh, if you’re open to it.
Nobody told me what to do when you look at your boy and you see the man he’s becoming.
Nobody told me any of this, and I’m glad they didn’t, because I wouldn’t have believe them.
And, after all, I kind of like surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment