Saturday, March 19, 2016

Making MHR Characters: Feron (ANOHotMU #4)

I picked up the Excalibur graphic novel with some trepidation. I knew several of the characters, but flipping through the pages, it looked really weird and chaotic and . . . oddly British. I can't quite put that into words properly, but it really did. I loved it, though, and the monthly series went on my pull list . . . for about twenty issues before I just petered out.

I don't know which issue it was, exactly, whether it was an issue of the characters or the plot or the art, but I distinctly remember lifting it out of my folder at One Million Comics and thinking, "Meh," and just removing it.

About two years later, I picked up an issue on a whim and it was . . . something. I think I must've come in mid-arc because there were all of these characters who barely got name-checked but were obviously main parts of the story, including a sullen, spiky-haired teenager with mystic powers. That, it turns out, was Feron. He seemed like a jerk, but now I understand why.

He was destined from birth to take on the mantle of the Phoenix Force when the Anti-Phoenix appeared. He was waited on, hand and foot, and never permitted to touch the ground because when he did, the Phoenix Force would come to him. Only when he did, the Phoenix Force was already in Rachel Summers. Awkward.

I'm not entirely certain when that surly pre-teen was recast as the albino love-child of Matthew Broderick's character from The Name of the Rose and Neil Gaiman, but evidently that did happen and his character improved. A bit. Maybe. It's all a little fuzzy.

Anyhow, this is my first turn at a mystical-type character, and I think it works well. I can definitely see this being a fun character to play, and might consider doing so myself some time.

Feron
Afffiliations
Solo 1d10
Buddy 1d6
Team 1d8

Distinctions
Called By Destiny
Phoenix Child
Youngling

Mystic Training
Enhanced Durability 1d8
Flight 1d8
Mystic Blast 1d10
Mystic Resistance 1d10
Mystic Senses 1d8
Sorcery 1d10
SFX: Multipower - Use two or more Mystic Training powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.
SFX: Mystic Constructs - Add 1d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when using Mystic Training to create constructs.
SFX: Unleashed - Step up or double and Mystic Training power for one action. If the action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to the normal power die.
Limit: Conscious Activation - If stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shut down Mystic Training. Recover Mystic Training when stress is recovered or you awake. If mental trauma is taken, shutdown Mystic Training until trauma is recovered.
Limit: Exhausted - Shutdown a Mystic Training power to gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or recovering during a Transition Scene.

Specialties
Cosmic Expert 1d8
Mystic Master 1d10
Psych Expert 1d8

No comments:

Post a Comment