Saturday, June 18, 2016

Making MHR Characters: Gibbon (ANOHotMU #4)

There are better pictures (see below),
but none of the others make it look like
he's trying to make a flying rage-poop.
Well, this is good news - I skipped a character. No, really, this is honestly good news. See, when I'm getting really familiar with a system, I periodically forget to actually write down the things that I come up with, storing them solely in my head.

This happened in last night's 13th Age campaign, actually, where the PCs arrived on an alien world and were supposed to be attacked by formians, creatures that I'd definitely statted up. They weren't on my computer, though, so I sought out the notebook they'd be in and . . . not there either. So, I turned to a page that sure looked like a monster write-up and carried on with the encounter. I don't think they noticed. Hope not.

Thaaaat's better.
That's exactly what I did here - I had the write-up for Gibbon just as you see here, but I never committed it to paper. I wrote all of this up and then slid in the official MHRPG wording afterward.

Anyhow, Gibbon. No prize for guessing that he first showed up in the pages of a Spiderman comic. Also no prize for guessing that he's a hard-luck semi-bad guy who occasionally has bursts of heroism and who nearly met a bad end at the hands of one of Marvel's vigilantes. With a name like this, it's kind of assumed he isn't a cosmic level threat or anything. I mean, it's no "Gamecock," but, well, what is?

Anyhow, he's basically an ape-man, which is kind of cool. I gave him powers appropriate to the write-ups I've found, and to the one comic I read that had him in it - he was partnered up with/trying to capture White Rabbit at that point. He's a good, lower-tier villain, but he has some fairly nasty surprises for groups that aren't prepared to deal with an agile fighter.

Gibbon
Affiliations
Solo 1d4
Buddy 1d8
Team 1d6

Distinctions
Ape-like Appearance
Morally Questionable
Never A Clean Win

Monkey-Man
Brachiation 1d8
Enhanced Speed 1d8
Enhanced Stamina 1d8
Enhanced Strength 1d8
Leaping 1d6
SFX: Focus - In a pool containing a Monkey-Man power, you may replace two dice of equal size with one die +1 step larger.
SFX: Unleashed - Step up or double any Monkey-Man power for one action. If the action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to the normal rating of your power die.
Limit: Atavistic Fears - Step up or add 1d6 to the doom pool and step up emotional stress inflicted by attacks based on your primal nature.

Acrobatics Master 1d10

Crime Expert 1d8

No comments:

Post a Comment