Saturday, June 4, 2016

Making MHR Characters: John Garrett (ANOHotMU #4)

So, Bill Sienkiewicz. Bill is . . . how do I put this? "Unique" isn't quite right, but it's close. "Singular" is about as close as I can get, really. Yeah, Bill Sienkiewicz is singular. If you're standing twenty paces away from a comic, you can still tell he's the artist. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of personal taste.

For me, the cover to the right is the first issue of New Mutants I ever saw, and I immediately, on the spot, needed to have that comic in my possession. It was at the corner Becker's, a convenience store chain from back in the day when randomly appearing comic book racks were still a thing in my hometown. I picked it up off the rack and realized that I was coming in partway through a plotline and groaned. I still bought it, but went home, hopped on my bike and went off to the comic book store to buy every back issue I could.

Since then, I've picked up Stray Toasters, some of his work on Moon Knight, and, yes, Elektra, which is where we're introduced to John Garrett. He's an incredibly obnoxious man, and you're kind of glad that the comic makes it clear that you aren't supposed to like.

The series, "Elektra: Assassin," is written by Frank Miller from before he became just another angry old man, and it's really quite excellent. It doesn't fit neatly into the Marvel Universe, similar to his run on Daredevil, but it's quite excellent.

Anyhow, Garrett is a moderately powerful cyborg whose vulnerable to hypnotism and suchlike, and ends up pretty darned messed up by the end of the series. He spends much of the series at least somewhat allied with Elektra, but it's pretty clear that he's really just looking out for his own self-interest, and I've drawn him up as such. I've designed him so he's really easy to mess up mentally.

Solo 1d8
Buddy 1d6
Team 1d4

Distinctions
Capable Investigator
Dangerously Deluded
Truly Despicable Person

SHIELD Equipment
Guns 1d8
SFX: Focus - If a pool includes a SHIELD Equipment power, you may replace two dice of equal size with one die +1 step larger.
Limit: Gear - Shutdown SHIELD Equipment and add a die to the die pool. Activate an opportunity to recover.

Cyborg
Cybernetic Senses 1d8
Enhanced Durability 1d8
Enhanced Speed 1d8
Enhanced Stamina 1d8
Enhanced Strength 1d8
SFX: Overclock - Add 1d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back the highest die in the pool by -1. Step up the effect die by +1.
SFX: Unleashed- Step up or double and Cyborg power for one action. If the action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to the normal rating of your die.
Limit: Cyborg - Add a die to the doom pool when affected by cybernetic-targeting tech and Milestones.
Limit: Unstable - Stress or complications caused by mind control are +1 step higher.

Combat Expert 1d8
Covert Expert 1d8
Crime Expert 1d8
Menace Expert 1d8
Tech Expert 1d8

No comments:

Post a Comment